Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Promise is a Promise

“A Promise is a Promise”, said Ratan Tata with pride after he unveiled the Nano or “The People’s car” as it is fondly called. I was really impressed by the man and his words. I don’t know why but I felt proud that I was working for the Tata group. The group which has given a lot to Indian society, with a wide range of products and services touching almost all walks of life and by way of which has become an integral part of this country.

Read Tata’s interview and more about the car here.

http://www.tatapeoplescar.com/tatamotors

I have read a lot of articles on the Nano over the past few days in various places. It is definitely a great piece of innovation. I was surprised to read that Engineers who designed this have spent so much time on coming up with innovative designs to reduce cost , even for reducing $10. After all it is no mean feat, coming up with a car for $2500.

An interesting article from NY times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/business/worldbusiness/08indiacar.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1


Nano is the talk of my workplace now whether it is within the office or the coffee shops or in the cafeteria. Everyone met I over the last few days seems to be toying the idea of buying the Nano even if it is a second car and after all the Nano is just a little more costlier than a bike and emission wise a lot better. This car is definitely going to create a new market and in the long run might force other car manufacturers to innovate and even bring down their prices, not only in India but across the world.

On a lighter note, Nano is definitely going to make driving within the city tough some time down the line simply because of its reach. I had a dream few days back where I saw Nanos all over the place, on platforms in parking lots and on the roads.

Well the Nano was Tata’s dream for the past 4 years and today it is a reality. Tata has kept his promise. This innovation he is definitely going to impact our lives majorly and definitely result in betterment of the society.

1 comment:

Janani Srikanth said...

I read that there is a mixed response for Nano among public - Some are happy that they can afford a car atlast/some are worried about the traffic conditions/some about efficiency and performance. I guess we as Indians tend to under-estimate whatever comes with a cheap price-tag. Whatever be the take, for someone to come up with such an innovative idea as Nano for common man, deserves kudos. Nice post man - I too am proud to be a fellow TATA employee..:) Btw are you buying a Nano?