Friday, October 24, 2008

The Festival of lights is here again

The festival of lights is here again. Diwali ..

Is it the celebration of the victory of good over evil, Krishna killing Narakasura, as the story goes in the south? Or is it the celebration of return of the good, Rama coming back to his Kingdom after exile, as the story goes in the North?

Whatever it is, Diwali to me brings back fond memories of my mom. I must admit that the festival of colours has lost some colour as far as I am concerned for the last 4 years without her.

The love and affection in my mom’s eyes as she applied oil on my head in preparation for an oil bath .. The happiness with which she prepared all the sweets and delicacies I liked .. Those lovely moments when she handed me a sweet or asked me to burst crackers.. The glow and appreciation in her face when she saw me in a new dress .. That was Diwali for me for many years and is still fresh in my memory.

Today Diwali makes me look forward to only the trip with my daughter to the cracker shop and bursting the crackers thereafter. It is a pleasure to watch her eyes gleam when I buy her all the crackers that she wants. I think I will miss it this time being away from India.

What does Diwali mean to you?

Wish you a very happy and prosperous Diwali.

1 comment:

Janani Srikanth said...

Many festivals were lit by Amma's presence of course. Celebrating those reminds me very much of her but again I do agree that the charm can never be matched..!!